The Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification (AZ-900) is an entry-level exam, introducing Azure to technical and non-technical people. The test covers a range of general cloud concepts and Microsoft products. This exam gives students a firm foundation to continue learning Microsoft Azure and to participate in the infrastructure shift from on-premises to the cloud.
The Azure Fundamentals exam is about 35 questions with a 60-minute time limit. They are a mix of drop-down, drag and drop, and multiple-choice questions. The exam is delivered in a testing center or online. Taking the exam online is a comfortable and convenient way to test your skills in a controlled environment and is highly recommended.
There are many great resources for the Azure Foundations exam.
- Thee official test description page Microsoft Azure Fundamentals. This page breaks down the Skills Measured and describes the exam
- Microsoft Training Days This free course provides training for the exam and also provides a free exam voucher to take the exam risk-free
- Microsoft Learn free online training https://aka.ms/azfunpath. This training is an interactive, web-based series that hits every skill measured in the exam and includes free sandbox Azure accounts to perform live labs
- Skylines Academy. This course has a small fee but is an incredible resource and worth the price. They also have a monthly subscription if you wish to consume multiple courses in the Azure series
- Hands-on experience with a trial account
If you have experience with VMware, AWS, or Azure using this many resources could be considered overkill. The combination was more than enough to carry me through the exam. If you want to save money, I would recommend using the Training Days virtual course and the Microsoft Learn training. If you have a budget and want a detailed deep-dive into the skills measured, you could use the Skylines Academy instead of the Microsoft Learn training.
No matter which resources you use, creating a free account and becoming comfortable with the interface, terms, and configuration is crucial to passing this exam. Azure is a very hands-on service, and navigating the portal and learning the names of the products helps with this exam, as well as in any job role or conversation you have about the products. Good luck on your exam and reach out on twitter if you have any questions.